Monday, August 23, 2010

Sunflowers

Anyone that knows me, knows that I adore sunflowers. Anyone that knows me also knows that I'm not the brightest light in the hall. We had a wonderful sunflower display out the kitchen window this summer. It was so amazing watching a few continue to grow taller than the kitchen window and then nearly every hour change as a pedal here and a pedal there would show it's face to the sky. Once all the splendor was gone - despite rarely getting any water due to the heat and dryness this year (did you know that sunflower roots are very shallow?), it was time to cut them down. Again, seeing as how I'm not the smartest blonde on the block, I simply tossed the dried flora into the big blue trashcan, and walked away. It was truly only moments later - I hadn't even made it as far as the back door - the realization hit me that there might be seeds where there once was sundrenched color. Good grief - look at all those seeds. These photos are from only one of the largest of two or three sunflowers. I could not begin to count how many seeds are on there. What is most inspiring is how they are all lined up forming a fantatic pattern, and then mind-blowing how only one seed can produce something so huge to keep giving so abundantly.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: